Sunday, February 24, 2013

Howard, Milt and Me


A little over a week ago I had the feeling that I should give a friend who I had worked with at KOMO-TV for over 30 years a phone call.  In the past, I have ignored such “impulses” only to find that I should have called because of some important reason or other.  I’ve come to recognize that these “feelings” are very often promptings from the Lord.

Anyway, I gave Howard Stott (left above), who was a radio and TV newsman and news director at KOMO, a call last weekend.  After catching up on the past few years (I hadn’t seen or talked with him for three or four years) he mentioned that another mutual friend, Milt Furness (arrow above), was in a rehab facility in Seattle after suffering a series of strokes and that he was going to visit him.  He asked if I would like to come with him.  Of course I said yes!  Milt was a news reporter and anchor for 15 years at KOMO while I was there. 

I met Howard at the rehab center on Friday afternoon, and the three of us spent over an hour talking and laughing, all of us having great fun trying to remember names of people we knew back in the “KOMO days,” reminiscing about the TV station that we worked at during the last 3 decades of the 20th century.  

Afterwards, Howard and I decided that we would have to get together much more regularly if only because time is flitting by so quickly and we aren’t getting any younger!  Howard, Milt and I had a great time together despite our friend’s health issues.  I would urge you that if you have a feeling that you should call someone or reconnect with an old friend, that you don’t ignore that inclination, but make that phone call or write an email.  


No comments: