Monday, February 13, 2012

A Book Review


One thing that I really did not like to do when I was in Junior High or High School was writing book reports.  They were the most boring things that were ever invented!  Since I've been married, and especially since Karin and I raised three boys, I have learned to enjoy reading for pleasure.  So here I am going to do what I absolutely hated so many years ago ("Jaws" theme music goes here) -- write a book review (that's the same as "report" but spelled differently).


This came about as result of a recommendation I received from Dave Kimmel who sent me this email on February 3rd:
Gordy, My name is Dave Kimmel, I served with the 225th in the early 70's. I wanted you to know that my prayers will be with you today, it is 8AM here in PA, and I am praying for success and a recovery that will put you back in cockpit.  I have had some health issues, and I found that it was so hard to pray when there is so much going on after and during your recovery. With that, two tips; ask for prayer, and a book I just read, "FLIGHT TO HEAVEN", Capt. Dale Black, I found it to be a blessing in so many ways, as I'm sure you will too. Brothers in Christ,  Dave


I ordered this for my Kindle a few days ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I would recommend it for anyone who likes a good story with some suspense, surprises, inspiration, and life-changing moments.  This true story rang true with me regarding my recent surgery, and how much work is involved just to regain the normal routine of life.  I, of course, have not come lose to having experienced near what Capt. Dale Black experienced, but I have had a very tiny taste of what's involved in the work of recovery.  This is a quick read, only 189 pages, but well worth the time!  For any of us who have flown, I hope his story will inspire you.

No comments: