Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Adventure: Post-Op


First of all I want to THANK EVERYONE for the wonderful of support and love you have shown Karin and me during this amazing adventure with my prostate cancer.  This has truly been a life changing experience for me in many ways some of which I have described in earlier blogs.

We arrived at Overlake Hospital Medical Center in Bellevue, WA, at zero-dark-thirty (actually about 5:30am), checked in and went to the surgery prep area.  Karin and I prayed together, we kissed and then I was taken to the OR on a gurney just before 7:30am…the only thing I remember is going through the double doors.  The next thing I remember is waking up to an absolutely brilliant day in my room with Karin and my oldest son Pete at my bedside.  I was a little sore around the middle, but certainly not in excruciating pain.  This was due in part to the meds I had been given, but also because I had only five little incisions (maybe 2 inches each max) spaced across my abdomen, not one long one as in open surgery.  I wouldn’t recommend that this procedure be done if you had nothing better to do on a day off, but if you have to have to have a radical prostatectomy, this is the way to have it.

I felt good enough over the next few hours to make a few phone calls to let people that I was out of surgery.  I didn’t do too much over the next 24 hours, except watch TV, look at the Bellevue skyline, have the RNs check on me periodically, and get up and walk around the medical floor a couple of times with tubes hooked up to me.  My surgeon’s associate came in to see me on Saturday morning, and after his assessment said I could go home later that day.  A wonderful nursing and tech staff took great care of me at the hospital.  I was home by about 3 o’clock on Saturday!  And I’m very glad to be home and to have the time to recover, sit watching old movies on TCM with a fire in the pellet stove, with our little puggle (his name is Mr. Puggles) next to me on the couch, and our big lab mix named Holly on the other end.  Karin is taking great care of me, and Tim and Meg brought dinner on Sunday.  Nick came by with a card that Jacob (our 5 year old grandson) made for me.  


I have a follow-up appointment on Thursday, Feb. 9th; I should know what the pathology reports say about how much cancer was there and if it was all removed.  This is the next part of the adventure that the Lord and I are on.  He is still very much in the middle of this and I am very thankful indeed.  In the Bible God says “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Deuteronomy 31:6)  This was Moses speaking to Israel as they were about to cross into the Promised Land, but these words can also apply to us if we know the Lord.  He certainly has not left us during this time of trial!  And He will continue to be with us, too!

Thanks again for all your love and support for Karin and me over the past few months, please know that it very much appreciated!

No comments: