Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The OV-1 Mohawk Association 20th Reunion Begins!

Well, I’m on my way to Nashville for the 20th Anniversary Reunion of the OV-1 Mohawk Association! Got up at zero-dark-thirty to catch the Metro bus from my house to downtown Seattle, and then get on our new Link Light Rail directly to Sea-Tac Airport. We left for DFW on a jet plane (hum the John Denver song now!) where I’ll connect a flight to Nashville. I’m somewhere over Oregon now; I’ll continue journal a little later in the flight.

I’m somewhere between DFW and Nashville at 29,000 feet now, and I’m thinking about what our reunion will be like this year. In Portland last year there were guys I had not seen in several, indeed many, years. Bill Page I saw last in 1999 in Minneapolis. Steve Hammons and George Baena I had not seen in a few years. The last time I saw Dugan Lawrence was in the summer of 1970 after he had DEROSed and I had gotten out of the Army. I am so glad that Dugan was there! Alex Berkeley, Loren Schrock and Danny Talbot were there too. I had not seen George Burns since Phu Hiep!

We’ve landed in Nashville now. Everything is a beautiful green, the thermometer is hovering in the low 80s, and the humidity is even higher. By chance, Dave Olney (the Association XO) and his wife, Kathy, are waiting for the hotel shuttle as I walk out of the terminal, so we’re on our way to the hotel together.

After a light snack and a glass of vino for dinner, I’m off to publish this blog entry and then hit the hay. I am anxious for our first full day tomorrow here in the Volunteer State, to renew friendships, and make new ones, with brothers with whom I shared a common experience. I’ll update with photos tomorrow…

No comments: