Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Headin' Home!


Well, I’m on the final leg of my trip home…DFW to Seattle. It’s a beautiful clear day over the Western US with smooth flying so far (I think I’m over Colorado…Hello Larry Conway!) and we should touch down at Sea-Tac Airport in about 2 hours.

On board this American Airlines MD-83 there are ten or so troops (ranging in rank from PFC to E-7 and aged from too young to over 55) who are on leave from duty in Afghanistan. If you look closely at the photo above you will see several shoulders in camouflaged uniforms. The pilot announced that these troops were on board and the entire aircraft erupted in applause with a few “Hooahs” thrown in! I’ve taken the opportunity to say “thank you for serving” to several of them and have shared with them that I was a vet from a different war who was coming home from our Reunion, and there was an instant bond and recognition for our mutual service experiences. The next time you see a young (or older) service man or woman in uniform, take the opportunity to say “thanks” to them…they will really appreciate it!

A couple of hours later……..

We’ve touched down at Sea-Tac, and another Reunion has officially come to an end for me again. Now my task is to not get too anxious with anticipation for next year in Dayton. I hope you will seriously consider coming the second weekend in September 2010!

No comments: