Thursday, July 28, 2016

Retirement...A New Adventure!

Well, a new chapter in my life is beginning!  As Paul Harvey used to say, “And now the rest of the story...!”

I have worked as a Senior Administrative Assistant at Seattle Children’s Hospital since 2001.  About a year and a half ago I was put on what is called a “performance improvement plan” (PIP) because I had been missing completing tasks I had been asked to do and not realizing it.  I was surprised to say the least, but nevertheless I worked on strategies through which I was able to improve my ability to remember tasks that needed to be accomplished by using lists and other tangible reminders, like post-it notes, throughout the work day.  Short story: my performance improved.  Then at the end of March I was informed that my performance had slipped again and was put on paid administrative leave to have this downturn checked to see if there was a medical reason behind this.

Again, I was surprised and honestly upset because in the back of my mind I thought (though unjustifiably) that “they” were out to get me.  In fact, everyone around me only had my welfare in mind!  That weekend I talked with my bride of forty-three years and she said that she had noticed that I had been forgetting things intermittently as well. Karin and I met with my doctor who referred me to a neurologist; I had an MRI done and it was discovered that sometime in the last year and a half, unbeknownst to me, I had experienced two small strokes.  These affected my memory slightly, enough however to cause performance problems at my job at Children’s.

Seattle Children’s is an incredible organization!  I have been on leave since the last week in March, using short-term disability and paid time off, so a paycheck is still coming in.  I have been looking for a position at Children’s but so far have not found one (there are job postings on their internal intranet site that I have been checking several times a week).  The people in their HR department told me that they don’t think they will have a job that will accommodate me with the restrictions my doctors have indicated would be best for me in a work situation, so I have decided to officially retire when my paid leave runs out around the end of August.

Thus, a new adventure is starting!  I really have never felt to good....and young!  Among other things, I plan on working out regularly to better control my type 2 diabetes and get in generally better shape.  By the way, if you have not read The Gray Iron Fitness Newsletter (www.senior-exercise-central.com), check it out, it’s been very encouraging for me.  Back issues are at the following URL... http://www.senior-exercise-central.com/The_Gray_Iron_Fitness_Newsletter-backissues.html.


And now that I have more time on my hands (between completing items on my “honey-do” list) I’ll be writing on this blog more often too.  Please keep in touch by writing to darraghsplace@gmail.com, and I hope that I’ll see you in DC in about 7 weeks too!

No comments: