Thursday, April 28, 2016

The Other Washington

As most of you know, I have lived in Washington State for the majority of my life.  The few times I have been abroad and when I have been asked where I’m from, I naturally answer that I’m from Seattle.  And if they don’t know where Seattle is (it is always surprising to me how many folks in other countries actually know where Seattle is!) they ask where we live, I say in Washington State.  They invariably reply, “Oh, I know where that is; it’s on the East Coast.”

Well, that’s not quite correct because we are in the Northwest corner of the country.  That’s why we call our state “the other Washington.”  Anyway, I have never been to DC, but I’m going in the fall.  I’ve registered online with Armed Forces Reunions Inc. and I have made my reservations at the Sheraton Pentagon Hotel in Arlington, Virginia for September 20-25 for our annual OV-1 Mohawk Association Reunion.  The hotel has a great rate of $119 plus taxes for Reunion attenders, so be sure to make your reservation early.  And

John Bosch, our Association’s “Party” Director, promises to have organized another wonderful event this year.  There is so much to see in our nation’s capitol:  The Pentagon, the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, the Congress, the White House, Arlington National Cemetery, and, of course, the Wall.

As of April 22 these former Blackhawks/Phantomhawks either told me that they are coming or have already registered:  Joe Beckham, Don Bernstein, John Britten, Joe Floyd, Steve Hammons, Bill Page, Ron Pitcock, and Alan Summers.  Don’t be left out seeing old friends, catching up with the past and swapping lies (I mean stories) and perhaps learning new facts about our time at Phu Hiep.  It’s always a kick to meet someone after nearly a half century...I met the soldier (John Britten) I replaced at Phu Hiep for the first time in Dallas a couple of years ago!


Check out our Association’s website for more info; it will be updated periodically as the dates get nearer.  I expect to see you there, too!!

No comments: