Monday, May 25, 2015

More Phantomhawks Found!

 L-R:  Luis Ponton, Rudy Anzaldua and Miguel Anza


L-R:  Miguel Anza and Luke Christ

The other day I got a note on email from a man I have been thinking about for many years.  Seems this guy and several others of us in the 225th got together more or less regularly at Phu Hiep to have drinks, and the sometimes the food that helps the drinks go down better, just because we all spoke some Spanish.  I had taken 4 years of it in high school (which was only a couple of years before I got in country.)

Miguel Anza (I think I called him “Mike” in those days) had been talking with Luke Christ who had told him about this blog.  Well, Miguel sent me an email note after all these years!  I was blown away because I had been recently thinking about him and the other guys, wondering what happened to them.

Saturday afternoon I was watching an old James Cagney movie “Captains of the Clouds” (a great 1942 movie, by the way, about the RCAF training pilots of WWII, in color with some pretty good float plane stunt flying) when my phone rings with a call from Puerto Rico!  It was Miguel!  We talked for almost an hour about the 225th, all about the group we were in, about Joe Beckham and that he and Miguel were both from Gary, Indiana, and about Miguel and John Dewar, who was in the Orderly Room, got to Phu Hiep all the way from Boston to Oakland to Nha Trang and Qui Nhon to the 225th together!

Miguel mentioned that Rudy Anzaldua was in that hospital in Houston after recently undergoing major surgery.   Please pray for our brother as he recovers!


Anyway, our comrades continue to be found!  I’m looking forward to seeing Señor Anza, and many of you all, at the 26th Annual Reunion in San Diego in October.

No comments: