Saturday, June 30, 2012

VA Claim Status Update

I wanted to give you an update on my claim for special monthly compensation for Agent Orange-related prostate cancer with the Veterans Affairs Department. I filed my claim through my service officer at the Disabled American Veterans in October 2011. I have checked with the DAV periodically regarding the progress of the claim through the amazingly sluggish VA progress, which included at least one unexplained 30-day delay. About two weeks ago the claim had finally been processed and rated, and sent on to the regional VA office in Muskogee, OK, for final processing and, hopefully, awarding of compensation.

I fully understand the burden the VA is under with so many Vietnam era claims that they now have to process (more than 40 years after we were there), and all the new claims for the service men and women back from Iraq and Afghanistan. I understand that the number is around 250,000. But, as I told my service officer, it sometimes feels like the government has very little intention of fulfilling their promise to take care of us, and that maybe they are just waiting for us to die.

Well, I’ve got that off my chest, so I’ll continue to be patient, because my claim should be settled sometime in July. I’ll let you know the results when they make themselves known.

Meanwhile, hang in their guys! I really don’t think they have forgotten us. And remember that we still have each other and our shared experience at the 225th!

No comments: